Thursday, July 2, 2009

Metro Mayhill

Metro Mayhill! Mayhill is wide spot in the road, a town that has been around since the 1800's. It is the site where Col. Stanton and others were killed by Apaches. There are still Mahills in the area. The first post office was established in 1885. The town was supposed to be named Mahill but a spelling error made it Mayhill and it has stuck. There a few homes around the main street, but mostly it continues as a farming and ranching community. It is located 17 miles outside of Cloudcroft.

Mayhill Cafe
When I was a kid, there was a pay phone to the right of this
building that was a party line. I remember my mother putting her
dime in and waiting for her turn.

Mayhill Store


Mayhill Water Tower I love this! I love the fact that it is still standing, I love the glimpse to the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment