Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day

Happy 4th of July! We spent the evening tailgating up at the Space Hall. I scored a VIP pass to park in the top lot! It was perfect! We had made a dinner worthy of a tail gate occasion. Buffalo wings, tabouli, (with fresh from the garden mint), chicken fajitas, salsa, beans and potato salad. I was hoping for some fresh apricot cobbler, but time ran out. This flag hanging from the Space Hall is huge. It is several stories long.

The gates opened at 6pm, Timberwolf, a band played from about 7 -9pm. This is my sister and brother-in-law dancing to Bob Segar! I love the small town revelry

The moon will be full in a couple of days, you can see it rising, as the parking lot fills and people get set up for the fireworks.

A view to the south, over Alamogordo as we wait.....

Finally we were rewarded and the display was better than it has ever been! They went all out this year. My camera does not do it justice, and I did want to enjoy them without worrying about a spectacular shot. The local radio station played patriotic music and it was sent out over loud speakers set to the fireworks. It ended about ten and I am reporting this to the sound of continuing firecrackers from the neighbor kids... Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment