Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas in Alamogordo


                               This is one of my favorite displays that is up every year.  I love the Peanuts!


These are the last photos from my old camera and therefore not the best, but you can see the luminarias mixed in with the lights.


                                             Close up of the luminarias.  These are the traditional ones, made with brown paper bags, dirt and a votive candle.  They cast such a soft and welcoming glow ~ the night recedes just a bit while they flicker and light the paths and outline homes and churches, neighborhoods and creches.

Even this truck got into the spirit!
                                                                      

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful photographs! My father was born and raised in Alamogordo and moved to Los Angeles at 16 years old. It is true, "you can take the man out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the man." I think my dad always dreamed of returning to live in La Luz. Some of his relatives still live in La and Alamo. How he loved NM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback! I loved hearing from you. I know the area is a strong pull to people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Alamagordo from the time I was 5 or 6 until I was twelve. My mother actually managed the Red Rooster. She is 85 years old now and recently moved into a senior apartment highrise. We have been cleaning out her home and can you believe it, I found a key chain that advertises the Red Rooster. Ah memories of going there to eat. My dad also cooked there for some time during the late sixties and early seventies, he was stationed at Holloman Air Force Base. Anyone with any memories I sure would like to hear some. Maybe some of you even remember my mom and dad. Her name is Gloria and Robert. Nellie was a cook there also and at the time Louie was the first name of the owner. This is about all I can remember right now. If you do have any memories please email me at picky1963@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete